Monday, August 10, 2015

Biscuits and Gravy Lays Potato Chips

I thought I would start off with something currently on the market (and currently shoving in my face hole) before I hit some of the products I've tried over the recent years.  At first glance, I made that icky face all 2 year olds know how to do so well.  BUT, as addicted as I am to LTO (limited time only) flavors, of course, I had to try them.

Let me preface by saying that I generally do love biscuits and gravy which is odd because I don't like sausage.  But, for whatever reason, the combo of flavors with the gravy and the buttermilk biscuits and the poached eggs I just need to have on top of it works for me.  Knowing that, and being picky about the gravy, I didn't have very high hopes for this chip.  So I opened the bag and did what any other sane person would do...shove my entire head in the bag to take a deep sniff.  Smell is very important!  It is one of the main reasons why we taste things the way we do.  At any rate, I was pleasantly surprised with the smell.  It actually smelled like how it was supposed to.  So I got all giddy and proceeded to try one.  Holy cow!  Not only does it smell like how it's supposed to, it actually tasted like biscuits and gravy!  Go figure!  I'm so used to seasonal flavors falling short of what they are supposed to taste like, I was genuinely shocked!  I proceeded to eat several more and enjoyed them more and more as I was eating them.  One happy girl right here!

So, what does it taste like?  What it's supposed to taste like!  For those of you who have never had biscuits and gravy for breakfast, fresh buttermilk biscuits drowning in a white sausage gravy and by sausage I mean of the breakfast kind not of the sweet kind.  You don't get the buttery, flaky biscuit taste with the chips, but you do get that creamy, black pepper, fennel flavor you do with the real thing.  There is a bit of a spunk to these because of the black pepper, but I wouldn't say they were hot (for those of my friends who can't tolerate spice).  It doesn't engulf your mouth in flames but you will get a bit of a tingle in the back of your throat.

Final rating:  **** 4 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment